Monday, July 20, 2009

Washington at Work

Here are a few of the figures on display at the Recovery.org website. Our government at work.

RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $2,531,600 FOR 'HAM, WATER ADDED, COOKED, FROZEN, SLICED, 2-LB'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,191,200 FOR '2 POUND FROZEN HAM SLICED'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $351,807 FOR 'REPLACE AND UPGRADE THE DUMBWAITER'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,562,568 FOR 'MOZZARELLA CHEESE'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $5,708,260 FOR 'PROCESS CHEESE'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $16,784,272 FOR 'CANNED PORK'...

We will probably find out that these descriptions are not accurate, and then still be dissaspointed at how much the government spends on things. Everyday I see that all government spending, by its very nature contains waste, it cannot be avoided.

Two factors contribute to this:
1) People get to spend money that is not theirs. Anyone directing a budget that comes from tax dollars is spending money that is not their own. Cost is irrelevant if the money exists to pay for something. Like when a proposal comes through for a re-designed recovery.org website. $18 million is awarded because it can be, the value of that proposition is hardly examined because in the end it doesn't matter. The congress, under direction of the president has a created a pool of money, and people will spend it.
2) Budgets are based on need. Let's say for instance that a food-stamp program in Florida gets authorization to distribute $10 million in food stamps. What if they only distribute $5 million? It would now appear that they don't need the additional funds and their budget would be at risk of being cut. If a government organization actually saves money, they will be punished by budget reductions. There is no incentive to be critical of what money is being spent on.

Government spending should be seen as synonymous with waste. I believe SOME of it is necessary, but we should be seeking to reduce waste.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew, I just read this and had to laugh. As a Junior High b-ball coach I guess I am a government employee. I get a budget every year for my team. The first couple years I coached I didn't use up my budget because I really didn't need it. The the AD called me into his office and asked me why I didn't use all my budget. When I told him I didn't need it all he said it HAD to be spent by me or someone else at school would spend it. Use it or lose it. What wasn't spent would have to given back to the state and that wasn't acceptable!! Government at it's best!!! Kurt

    ReplyDelete