Thursday, August 26, 2010

Legal Theft?

When I start thinking about the word "theft" and compare it to what our government does, both local and federal, it gets a little scary.

Let's say I have a neighbor who has a disease and needs a special medicine to cure it. Since I don't have the money to help him, I go to my other neighbor, break-in to his house and steal the amount of money needed for the medicine and give it to my neighbor in need. Mind you, I didn't take all of the money I found, only what was required to help my sick neighbor.

Did I do something wrong?

Let's say that before I take the money for my sick neighbor, I go around and get the support of everyone else in the neighborhood, township, county and state. Millions of people support what I am doing.

Is it wrong now?

Let's say that a majority of people in my community elect me to a leadership position, and I then take from one neighbor to help the sick neighbor.

Is this OK?

In my previous post, I said that "This is a prime example of emotion triumphing over common sense." We have moved beyond that to emotion triumphing over legality. Many of the laws passed recently are taking resources from one individual and giving it to another. A quick glance at the constitution gives some perspective on what IS allowed to be taken from us.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; ..." - Article I, Section 8

The legality of the health care bill passed a few months ago was definitely tied to the "general welfare" clause of the constitution mentioned above....see Hoyer, Congress has power to force Americans to buy insurance. Beyond the general welfare clause, I also note that taxes should be "uniform" throughout the United States. The health care bill does no such thing; in fact, our entire tax structure does no such thing.

A couple points stick out in my mind when thinking about the general welfare of this nation:
- A majority of citizens opposed the health care legislation before it was passed.
- The bill does not give or require uniform resources to each individual. The ability to pay the health care tax is unevenly distributed.

The bills that our beloved government pass as law in most cases go well beyond a uniform tax that benefits everyone equally. Taking money/property from someone to give to someone else is theft. In the case of our government, it is legal theft.

Theft: "the act of stealing; the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another; larceny." - Random House Dictionary

Is repealing the health care legislation really so crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment