Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What the founders left out

..."the Constitution is a document of negative liberties [that] says what the states can't do to you, says what the federal government can't do to you but it doesn't say what the federal government or state government must do on your behalf." - Barrack Obama circa. 2005

What the federal or state government must do on your behalf?

The answer to this question highlights the foundational differences between a conservative like me, and progressives like many of our current leaders. Many of the republican failures over the years have, from my view, come from leaders being unaware of what is going on. The failures that we will be experiencing due to the leadership in place now will come from the idea that the government MUST act on behalf of people.

Global Warming: Rather than be an example of how we should treat our environment responsibly, our environmental leaders must pass laws that limit our freedoms, so that THEY can improve OUR environment.

Health Care: Progressives across the globe claim that "healthcare" is a fundamental human right. The assumption is that the government knows how to better care for me than I do. I believe that I am free to live, and die, on my own terms. If I smoke for thiry years, and get cancer knowing that smoking could give me cancer; maybe, just maybe I should be responsible these actions. How can we expect any less?

Bailouts: Car company's, banks, newspapers; many of them are failing. What is the answer? Let's have the government take over these companies because they obviously don't know what is good for them.

The big question here is: "What do you think the government should be doing on your behalf?"

Watch the legislation that comes out of Washington (or your local government). My guess is that we will continue to see the results of this mindset. The mindset that thinks they know better than me or you, and they will act on my behalf, regardless of what I say. Hopefully I am wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment