Wednesday, February 18, 2009

One Voice

I had an idea the other day. I want to write a book.

Coming from someone who hasn't written more than a sentence about anything that wasn't required; this could be a challenge. I think, and I could be wrong about this, but most authors probably wrote something short before they dove head-first into the novel of their life. So I will start here, and practice putting thoughts into words.

I am but one voice, but I realize that unless I say something I'll never be heard. Our country has changed dramatically over the last several years, and I see it moving away from the model that got us where we are. I want to change that. I want to see a country, where freedom means something. Where the "home of the brave and the land of the free" is more than just words in a song someone wrote.

I want to maintain balance and perspective in my life and in my beliefs. On one hand, I see the world changing dramatically. FEAR is being used to sell everything from the next law that must be signed, to the opinions that are expressed by media outlets across the country. Advertisers say that "sex sells", but I think that is moving to: "fear sells."

It is easy to be gripped by fear, if it dawns upon you that what is being preached could actually happen, but keeping perspective can turn fear into peace. I do believe in the Prince of Peace, and in my God, peace can be found. Regardless of the social or political landscape of our country, or our world, the commission is the same.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." -Matthew 25:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment